Re: [RC] Google Indexes All of Ridecamp - Beverley H. Kane, MD

A bit OT, yet worthwhile pointing out, b/c in my experience there's a lot of
confusion about what's the public, unsecured Internet; an
organizational/corporate private intranet; and a business-to-business
private extranet. And no one should be concerned about secure messaging
one's healthcare providers just b/c RC is public.

Ridecamp "e-mail" is by choice of the administrators publicly accessible.
There is no password-protected login needed to read it; messages go over the
public internet; and our words are exposed unto eternity to anyone with a
web browser.

"Secure messaging" is different from "e-mail." It is used for transactions
such as home banking, communicating over a hospital/clinic/doctor's website,
and e-commerce on Amazon and e-Bay. SM is not exposed publicly and is
theoretically (with notable newsworthy exceptions) tightly private and
secure. If you look in the address bar of your browser and it says "https"
(the "s" stands for "secure") instead of just "http," it's a good bet you're
in a secure messaging environment and your communication is private.

Ridecamp could move to a secure extranet model. Or we could all be much more
continent and considerate and conscious of our communication for public
posterity.

Beverley
Woodside, CA
AERC #33689
1993-5 chair, American Medical Informatics Assn Internet Working Group
author, "Guidelines for the Clinical Use of Electronic Mail With Patients"
http://www.amia.org/mbrcenter/pubs/email_guidelines.asp