[RC] RC] drafting - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Two horses can travel faster than one if they cooperate. Most of the
international teams paired their entries up to travel in pairs. When I was
sponsoring Josie & Ben with Kaboot we were able to go faster than I went alone.
They traveled really well together. I don't mind at all if a stranger hooks up
with me if our horses travel well. It's considered important to offer to do
your share of the leading, but since Kaboot and now Gunner both prefer to lead
and aren't short on motivation I usually tell them "If it's not bothering you
he's happy in front" and I've never had anyone who didn't want to be the
"drafter".

The only time I've ever been irritated was when it was someone who let their
horse lag about 50 yards behind but insisted on staying right in that spot. It
was like a huge rubberband pulling back on my horse. Also, every time we got to
water my horse couldn't stand to drink till the anchor came easing in. I tried
to suggest they stay up and we'd make good time together and the reply was "He
likes it back here". So, I blew it out for awhile, really turned on the
speed...and sure enough, stayed right there in the same spot.:-P I was so tired
from urging my horse with my legs...something I'd never had to do. And yes,
they did try to race me in at the finish. I DON'T THINK SO!

I may be one of the guilty people who hooks up though...especially at the
start. In order to get my horse out of the "search and destroy" mentality of
passing all comers I have a habit of trying to focus him on one horse
(preferably with a wide butt that blocks his view of all others) and get him to
settle in to travel with it. I guess the people at Million Pines had a one in
86 chance I'd pick them and big ol' Harley got unlucky. >g< However, my
motivation is always control, not trying to get someone to pull me down the
trail.

Angie