From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Alison Farrin
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:47 AM
To: EquesB@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] to Ride Alone in competition

This is a question I have wondered about since an incident on a recent ride.  Two riders passed me; as they continued on my horse was willing to pick up a trot and we rode about 5 to 20 horse lengths behind them.  I did not feel that I was drafting on them, as I was keeping well back.  However, they would occasionally drop to a walk, so quickly that I would get up to a couple horse lengths away before I could get my horse slowed down.  Since I abhor people who constantly pass then walk so you have to pass them, I was careful to keep far enough behind to not be a nuisance.  One of the riders turned around and said, if you are going to draft off of us, you should make your horse go ahead for awhile.  Somewhat surprised, as I wouldn’t have called it drafting, I replied that I would certainly try it, but he was a still green horse that was having issues with being out on the trail alone. (It was his first time alone on a trail in competition).  Sure enough, he didn’t go more than ½ a mile before all he wanted to do was walk. They passed me again and the woman in a somewhat snotty voice, said, at least you tried.  At that point, I dropped back until they were just barely in sight, enough to give my horse confidence that we weren’t out there all by ourselves.

So, for those of you who like to ride alone – what’s an acceptable distance to share the terrain with another horse without feeling like they are sharing your space?!

Alison A. Farrin