[RC] Drafting - Bruce Weary DC

I don't mean to imply that we should try to control the trail. A true drafter will ride the exact same speed I do, even when I arbitrarily vary it from a canter to a walk, and there is plenty of room to pass on an open trail. Even when I stop and dismount, they may stop to wait for me to begin riding again. Sometimes they will walk on past, but verrrry slowly, so I am sure to catch up and pass again, so that they may resume following. This is all done within 50 feet of me, and sometimes closer. I'll admit that sometimes the mischievous side of me takes over (go figure). On occasion, I have managed to get far enough ahead to be able to duck out of sight briefly in the trees. When the pursuing rider tries to catch up, I let him ride on past me unseen and chase a ghost to the next vet check, or, more likely, the next horse he can draft on. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in this for my twisted little mind. I call it "Take a cab and fool the neighbors." Feel free to use this method yourselves. I wasn't wise enough to patent it. In fact, it was taught to me by one of my endurance riding mentors. I'm simply passing it on for the benefit of future generations. Maybe they'll name a library after me or something someday. Dr Q, world renowned "drafter dodger."