Re: [RC] Riding Alone - Barbara McCrary

This reminds me of an incident on a 5-day ride. Lud's horse was faster on that day and we parted ways at the one mid-way vet check. When I left, I was riding with a rider of long experience. I felt I was being polite in staying behind her and she felt I was drafting off her horse. She spoke brusquely to me saying that if I was going to ride with her, I had to do my share of leading. I was dumbfounded, as my only reason for staying behind her was courtesy. When I realized the other side to the picture, I said, "Sure , I'll lead for awhile." And off we went. I was grateful for that lesson. Should I become involved in a situation again, I will ask the other rider where he/she prefers to be in riding order.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Weary DC" <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:36 PM
Subject: [RC] Riding Alone

Regarding riding alone, I do a lot of it, especially in conditioning rides. My wife and I ride together a lot as well, both in conditioning and at endurance rides. At the risk of sounding anti-social, one of my pet peeves is being followed at an endurance ride by an unknown rider who apparently needs a guide to follow trail, or his horse needs a leader to follow. This happens quite frequently, and I am often forced to pull over, dismount and pretend to fuss with my tack, and offer the trail to the offending rider. Some get the hint, but the more persistent ones will simply wait for us to continue, and say something like "That's okay, I'm in no hurry." I am often given the impression that the rider hasn't done their homework either in learning to follow trail or in teaching their horse to move forward on his own. They almost never ask permission to follow, maybe because they think if they don't ask, they won't be told "No." I understand the "pulling" effect that a lead horse can have on a following horse. I think the opposite is also true, in that the lead horse can feel "pulled upon" by a strange horse that is constantly following. I have heard others discuss the effects of "drafting." In addition, my mare loses focus and some horses make her nervous when they follow immediately behind. This is the time when my wife and I do a lot of bonding and look forward to lengthy personal conversation. I am uncomfortable having that conversation within the earshot of a another rider. Now, if someone is in trouble or genuinely fearful, my wife and I are the first to help advise and guide them until they are comfortable and feel safe. I'm sure many of you out there have experienced this kind of thing, and I was wondering what suggestions you have for tactfully, but clearly, communicating that I prefer to ride independently. I'm all ears. Dr Q