RE: [RC] Riding alone... - heidi

Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Beyond that, I find riding alone uniquely satisfying because I never have to
compromise my riding style nor my horse's preferred way of going to
accommodate another's, so I feel unrestrained. I enjoy socializing less than
other people, though. As far as getting hurt alone, I deal with that with a
combination of having a cell phone, accepting the risk as a cost of the
reward (after all, every time you drive you accept the risk of a crash for
the reward of the mall at the other end of the drive), and the proposition
that being killed on a horse might be the best way to go. I think maybe men
can submerge, compartimentalize or ignore risk easier than women, though.

I don't think it has much to do with gender.  I like people, but on my
own terms.  I live on the side of a mountain with a very obscure
driveway over a mile long for that very reason.  My hubby is out of the
country nearly half of the time.  The reward of privacy and freedom is
well worth the risk of getting hurt and being undetected.  Now that I'm
in the past-50 group, I am more leery of taking out green horses alone,
and do reserve that for the times that hubby is home.  But other than
that, I ride, handle stallions and young stock, handle machinery, etc.
without undue concern for my own safety, beyond being sensible and
taking reasonable safety precautions.  My house is secured by a large
dog and by Smith & Wesson.  I do own a cell phone now, but rarely carry
it riding as there isn't much in the way of cell reception out here once
I leave the main road.  Life is for living, not for worrying about
worst-case scenarios.

As for being female, I can't think of any of the rural ranch women out
here who worry about being alone, riding alone, or working alone
either.  It's our culture, we love it, and we wouldn't trade places
with our sisters in more populated places.

Heidi