RE: [RC] Riding alone... - Tracey Lomax

I have four horses to exercise and, most of the time, it’s just me, myself and I.   So my horses are ridden alone more often than not, both in the arena and on trail.  As TBs tend to work in “strings” on the track, weaning them off of other horses and giving them confidence to go out alone is really important.  I try to do it slowly, often on foot, but generally my horses quite enjoy the experience of trail rides once they realize how much fun we can have.

Of course, “alone” for me sometimes means accompanied by between one and eight dogs, and carrying my cell phone (which rings incessantly with phone calls from my clients).  So “alone” is pretty relative….

The flip side of this, of course, is that it can mean that the horse can get over-excited in company.  For this reason, I truck them to shows together with the competing horses from an early stage, and I try to get them used to working in groups wherever possible.  But it is good to know that they’re focused on me, whether alone or in a group.

Tracey