[RC] riding alone... - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

Mike Sherrill is right, the risks are worth the benefits.  I ride alone more often than not.  I like when my horse and I are really in tune and going at the rate we want, not dictated by someone else, and I do alot of introspective thinking and some 'writing' in my head while I ride.  I have ridden many 100s completely alone, sometimes because my older mare gets too racey in company, but mostly because I like it.  I don't mind company, but I REALLY like being alone.

I just got back from a 8 mile ride on a very green mare - her second time off the farm, and all alone.  I can tell you that she knows how to walk out now....quick learner.  Twice on a road, I got off and led her when she seemed worried about something- it reassured her and made it safer for me.  I guess it would be easier to take her out with other horses, but she learned alot today and I got a better feel for what may bother her (not much, actually...!).  In fact, I was going to sell this mare, but pretty much decided to k eep her based on her performance today - I would not be able to evaluate that as well if we were in a group.

Laura Hayes