Re: [RC] Rapid Pulse Recovery - Sisu West Ranch

The proposal is an interesting concept, and may have lots of merit.  Before asking for a rule change I would like to see some data gathered.

1. Is taking more than 15 minutes to recover predictive of trouble later in the ride?
2. Is 15 minutes a magic number or should it be 10 or whatever?
3. How many horses who are on a pace that probably will allow for a placing have >15 minute recoveries?
4. Is there an effect from high humidity and temperatures?

The data exists in raw form on each and every ride.  The time of entry to the check is recorded.  The time of pulse down is recorded.  All the interested parties (and I note that a bunch of experienced vets and RM's are on the list) would have to do is to recruit some RM's to organize this data and  report to a statistician these numbers, along with the eventual fate of the horse, and the temp and humidity at the ride.

In UMECRA a number of years ago, someone proposed that in CTR the time between entering a hold and the required P/R time  be shortened from 10 to 5 minutes.  The idea was that this would better reward superior horsemanship, etc.  The proposal was studied at a number of rides by taking pulse at 5 and 10 minutes.  The bottom line was that the placings remained the same, and taking a pulse at 5 minutes was a pain.

Disclaimer:  Don't get me wrong I am not against the proposal, I just want to make sure that it will change things in a positive way before imposing more work on the RM's.  This proposal has been around for a number of years, so I see no harm in analysing already existing data before changing things.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875