RE: [RC] Securing Horses... - heidi

This is an interesting thread.  Over the years I've seen horses hurt and
loose that have been tied to the trailer, on hi ties, on picket lines,
in
metal pens, in the roll up vinyl pens, and in electric pens.  Horses are

always going to be horses and Murphy's law applies.

I agree.  But that said, I've had to patch up more horses (and managers
at rides I've vetted have had to stage more searches for horses) that
have been enclosed in electric fences than every other confinement or
securing system combined.  And as the original poster found out, it
isn't due to lack of homework--it's due to lack of somebody else's
homework.  In general, horses owned by folks who don't do their
homework and who hurt themselves on trailers or panels tend to only
hurt themselves--not a whole host of horses from throughout camp.  (I
know that there are exceptions to this--but that's been a pretty
standard observation over several years.)  And when horses do get
loose, for whatever reason, it is the horses in electric fencing who
tend to be the ones who fall victim to them.

 My best suggestion, regardless of your choice, is to practice at home and
or camping before you come to a ride.  *Most* of the time I've found the

problems start when a novice horse becomes untied during the night or
has
never seen the electric pen he's been placed in.  At some point he ends
up loose and goes visiting.

Absolutely.  But again, if your horse is secured in something that
doesn't break when the loose horse that doesn't see it as a barrier
runs into it, the chances of YOUR horse getting loose and injured are
much lower.  Likewise, if you have done your homework and taught your
horse to tie, odds of him getting loose just because someone else's
horse did are a lot lower than if he is in an electric fence.

We may yet get the ride off the ground that we've been working on for a
couple of years now--and I am very seriously considering disallowing
electric fencing as a containment system in our camp, because we will
be out in the middle of rough country, and I do NOT want to have to
mount a search for a bunch of loose horses.  (Just another
perspective...)

 I normally use Truman's method of using the trailer, truck and if
possible a fence line or other trailer to provide barriers between my
horses and others.  The muddy conditions in base camp didn't allow for
normal trailer parking, so my horses ended up *exposed* and subject to
the stampede. Even after this happening I still prefer the electric
fence, though mine is always double strung, and on at night.  This is
the
first time mine have been out of the fence when it's double strung,
though as I said they had some help as did my immediate neighbors.

I agree that using barriers is a good safety measure, but your
experience points up precisely why as an RM I don't want electric
fences in my camp (at least not as an overnight containment)--it just
takes one horse loose and then a WHOLE BUNCH are "liberated."  If your
horse had been tied (either directly to a trailer or on a hi-tie) or in
solid panels, odds are a loose horse would not have gotten your horse
loose.

Like Barbara, I carry medium-weight 12' livestock panels--they are a
bear to put up alone (but I can do it if I have to).  They aren't much
different than the fencing we have at home for stallion runs and catch
pens.  It would take a pretty dire situation for a horse to get out of
them (provided we close the gate).

Heidi