[RC] Securing Horses... - mkrumlaw

This is an interesting thread.  Over the years I've seen horses hurt and
loose that have been tied to the trailer, on hi ties, on picket lines, in
metal pens, in the roll up vinyl pens, and in electric pens.  Horses are
always going to be horses and Murphy's law applies.

My best suggestion, regardless of your choice, is to practice at home and
or camping before you come to a ride.  *Most* of the time I've found the
problems start when a novice horse becomes untied during the night or has
never seen the electric pen he's been placed in.  At some point he ends
up loose and goes visiting.

Based on the sounds I heard just before all of the horses got loose at
the Chicken Chase, mine included, a single *something* was loose, ran
through the woods and into and through a group of electric paddocks on
the other side.

I normally use Truman's method of using the trailer, truck and if
possible a fence line or other trailer to provide barriers between my
horses and others.  The muddy conditions in base camp didn't allow for
normal trailer parking, so my horses ended up *exposed* and subject to
the stampede. Even after this happening I still prefer the electric
fence, though mine is always double strung, and on at night.  This is the
first time mine have been out of the fence when it's double strung,
though as I said they had some help as did my immediate neighbors.

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services
http://www.goodnews.net/