Re: [RC] securing horses - Truman Prevatt

The key to keeping other horses from disrupting your horse is to block any path where they can run through your camp. A camp runaway can mess up your horse on a high tie or tied to the trailer the same they can in an electric pin - maybe more - if that have a direct shot. I've seen horses run past pipe panels and the horses inside them run through the panels, bunging themselves.

The bottom line is you need to figure out a way to keep the runaways away. By strategic location of the area you secure your horses in you can minimize the problem. You have a truck and a trailer - use them as a block. If possible park next to the woods - although the woods may be far from the vet check - it might keep horses from running though your camp. Carrying stuff to the check is a lot easier than looking for your horse at 4 AM. If no woods use a tree or use a bank or ditch. Get together with others and "circle the wagons" using your trucks and trailers to block off the outside.

There is no foolproof way to secure a horse. The best method is to minimize the impact of our peoples horses on yours. After all you cannot keep other people from getting a case of the stupid. However, you can protect yourself from the results of them getting a case of the stupid.

Truman

Shagyaarabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Need some advice. Lost my horses this past week end at the Chicken Chase Ride at Clark St. Forest. I had a very secure electric pen but horses at 3:30 came through it releasing my three. My mare took the two geldings out of Bill Wilson's fenced in area through the gate to the trails. Amy did her best to get there first but it is hard to outrun 3 determined horses. The rest of the excited herd of 12 or so were caught within the field. On Saturday they were seen about 4 miles into the trail system, dry fork loop. One was caught and ponied home. (I don't know who) but thank you so much to take the time to do this. They were not seen at all on Sunday. Please contact me if you sight them.

Now to keep this from happening again, my mare must remain at the trailer. I am considering a hitie system. The web site seems to be down. Can anyone explain the difference in the horizontal system and the vertical system. Do you travel with the rod secured along side the trailer or remove and keep inside?

Does anyone use the tie rite system? It is quite a bit cheaper.

/Daunna Sellers www.shagya-arabs.com/

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell