[RC] RC] securing horses - Jonni

Daunna Sellers  posted: >>>Need some advice.  Lost my horses this past week end at the Chicken Chase Ride at Clark St. Forest.  I had a very secure electric pen but horses at 3:30 came through it releasing my three. <snip> I am considering a hitie system.  The web site seems to be down.  Can anyone explain the difference in the horizontal system and the vertical system.  Do you travel with the rod secured along side the trailer or remove and keep inside? <<<

http://www.sportack.com/cms/index.cfm/path/94789/96913/96339/96340/

Sportack still has the Hi-Tie systems. There is no difference in the horizontal and vertical system as far as what you recieve, it is just how you mount them. I have three on my trailer. Two mounted horizontal, one vertical. If you have doors, windows, a ladder that need to be cleared when the Hi-Tie is folded back, you may need to mount veretical. Otherwise, they will mount to swing flush either direction, or fold down. You travel with them folded back against the trailer. They will not touch and rub most trailers. Mine has support beams/frame that the Hi-Tie was going to rub, so I slipped a Pool Noodle float tube over mine, to keep it from rubbing. No need to remove. I can have it un folded, the tie attached, and horse tied to it in about 30 seconds.

The biggest problems with electric fence corrals at rides is rarely the horses in them, but another loose horse running through them, and then dragging fence tape and poles behind them as the continue through camp, and more electric corrals, and more loose horses. I'd personally never use them, even though my horse is well broke to stay in one. Can't say all horses in camp will avoid it if they got loose. Nice to wake up and know my horse is where I left him. LOL

Jonni

http://community.webshots.com/album/103915659QPAsAJ
my trailer set up