[RC] Million Pines - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

WONDERFUL time at Million Pines *as usual*. Made much better by the fact that
my new horse Gunner came through with flying colors and is now an ENDURANCE
horse! :-D

First quick statement of fact. Million Pines is my FAVORITE place to go.
Period. I love going to that town where the whole population mobilizes to make
our weekend great. The Crowes are the BEST!!!

Quick version for people easily bored. It was a scorcher Friday. Looking like
it would be a hot, tough day. It's been unusually dry. Chance of
thundershowers. The SE had had *violent* thundershowers Thursday and we'd all
gotten word that Cindy Young (the one who owns Konician) had her 6 year old
"Jester" killed by lightning Thursday. Still thinking of Cindy when I left
Chattanooga with pitchfork type bolts coming down. It cleared as I headed south
and no rain on Friday...but hot & muggy.

The day turned out pretty good. Started out overcast and the temp was good.
While I was in the first vet check a pretty good thundershower came up and
since it hit while I was in my truck I just opted to sit in the truck and film
my horse standing in the rain and catch big claps of thunder for my students to
watch today and proclaim that we are all insane.  It was over in about 30
minutes and actually helped cool things off a bit. The sun came out for awhile
and I got worried but more clouds moved in, with a breeze and it turned out to
be a very good day to ride. The last horses in caught one more heavy shower
around 4:30 but nobody melted. The last horse in was a junior who elevated from
the 30, went through 3 sponsors and finished in the rain. Wish I knew her name
and I'd brag on her. 15 years old or so, tough kid. :-)

The winners had a 3 way tie, (which Wesley Crowe hates). It was Steve Rojek,
Ruth Ann Everette, and a lady I didn't know. Steve got BC.  Don't know about
the 30. There were something like 86 entries and 59 finishers in the 50. For an
apparently mild ride the pull rate is always amazingly high. If you slowed down
though, you'd see that on those smooth stretches of sand between the pine trees
there are low roots that do NOT give when they hit them. Vet told me there were
lots of fetlock strains.

Longer version for shut ins and people who couldn't care less about drug
testing:

Decided to enter my new horse, Gunner in the 50 anyway. Figured that if he
needed to quit after 30 I could always quit. The 30's who elevated would be
starting an hour later and that would put you behind another 100 horses in the
sand. There were 86 in the 50 and something like 90 in the 30. I cannot get
over how lucky I have gotten with this horse. He adapted to the picket line in
about 3 minutes. I walked him up to the SERA scales and he hopped on like it
was a game (later remembered his previous owner said she showed him some in
local trail classes...this probably looked like their fake bridges). He ate
non-stop. He went out on the trail quietly. He started the ride excited but
very controllable. Probably went a little too fast the first 15 miles but I'd
rather do that than fight. At least he was calm and relaxed as he motored
along. He pulsed down very quickly. He continued to eat, drink, not shy (except
the 6' ant hill "What was THAT?") He walked over the freeway overpass 4 times.
He had no problem with other horses. I just could not fault the boy. I am one
HAPPY camper. :-))))))) j

I LOVE MY HORSE!

Angie McGhee & Gunner McGhee (50 career miles, one for one)