[RC] injured foals are very fragile - Mary Ann Spencer

I lost a foal to a broken leg.  The mother did not want to nurse the foal and kicked it. We put it in a cast but it was too much stress.  Vet said very few survive due to the stress.  The foal was 3 days old.  When we see foals growing well and all rambunctious, we forget how fragile they can be under traumatic and stressful situations.

Also lost a paint mare to a 6 inch laceration.  Vet only said she colicked but I disagree and 'I will never use that vet again'.  He did not listen to me. He said she colicked.  HOWEVER< there was swelling that started along the sutured laceration.  I think she was allergic to the local anesthetic used for suturing it as it became swollen and the swelling stretched to finally go from her chest to her teats.  The laceration was mid ribs just behind the riders leg.

We may see our horses are strong and vital but they have some serious weaknesses.