[RC] paralyzed foal - k s swigart

Joy Mahler said:

Any one thinking this through would immediately know the best
course of action should be humane and euthanize this foal.

Since the original post and request for funds didn't give any information about
what the prognosis was for the foal if it DOES receive the proposed medical
care, I am unable to determine whether this truly is the case. However, _I_
decided not to contribute mostly because this information wasn't provided, and
I figured, if the supplicants couldn't be bothered to provide the information
necessary to make a humane decision, then I wouldn't be bothered to ask for it.
That, and the fact, that like Joy, unless told otherwise, I suspect that the
prognosis is pretty poor.

And Jim Holland said:

Maybe so. Joy, but I'm with Bruce Weary here....it's the
principle of the thing....it's all I can do.....and it ain't
enough. His survival would make a statement to all the as******
who do s*** like this!

But I find THIS statement to be really disturbing.  Surely Jim is not
suggesting that we should ignore what is the most humane thing to do for the
foal itself just so we can make a statement.

IF the most humane thing to do for the foal is to euthanize it, then the most
humane thing to do for the foal is to euthanize it--independent of any
statement being made.  But even more so if the statement being made to the
perpetrators by not euthanizing it is: "If you just wound the animal instead of
killing it, we will do everything we can to keep it alive in its misery just to
prove a point."

IF the purpose of the shootings was to inflict as much suffering as possible,
then prolonging the foal's suffering just to make a statement is rather like
being an accomplice :).  And the lesson learned by the perpetrators may be that
they can get more misery out of each shot by missing slightly...AND they can
get self-righteous people to throw good money away on a "principle."  Imagine
the laughs they could get from that.

kat
Orange County, Calif.