Re: [RC] Cantering - Truman Prevatt

Bruce Weary wrote:

All good points, Joe. And you certainly have the experience to put them forth. What I am reading so far are people offering exceptions to what I have experienced as the more general rule of most travel being done at a trot. Yes, it's true that a slow canter may be easier on the horse than an exertional extended trot of the same speed. But most rides aren't ridden or even won, at speeds over a 10 mile per hour average.The winning pace of last year's 20 Mule Team 100 was 8.3 mph. How much cantering does even the winner need to do if he won the ride with that average traveling speed? Not many horses travel at 8 mph at the canter. There are always exceptions, but I think the newbies who asked the question should understand that the trot is the overwhelmingly dominant gait used in this sport. And though some horses can obviously tolerate the canter for many miles without apparent problems, the trot is generally a safer gait for the horse carrying a lesser experienced rider. It takes some real experience, prudent training and, I think, a horse with certain biomechanical attributes to travel at a canter for long distances without eventual potential leg strain. Dr Q, often wrong, but never in doubt.

Take a ride like the OD there are a lot of places you can't do much but walk so even to make a 15 hour ride time which is quite fast a rider needs to canter quite a bit. I think it has more to do with the horse than trail. I think it has more to do with the horse than anything else.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell