Re: [RC] GPS units - Joe Long

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:14:30 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: Sarah ximera2@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm considering buying a GPS unit. If you were going to splurge and buy a new
GPS, what model would you buy? What features are most important to you? What
features do you use the most?

Thanks!
Sarah

I wanted performance and features more than the convenience of a wrist unit, so
I bought a Garmin GPSMap 60cs and I've very happy with it.  I had two previous
units with B&W screens that just gathered dust, I didn't find them useful.

What was most important to me was performance, this unit has a good antenna
(something wrist units don't have due to size) and a sensitive receiver, so I
don't lose the signal much in difficult terrain.  It has lots of memory to store
detailed topo maps of where I'm riding.

Next most important was a large color screen -- if you can't see and interpret
the display easily, it't not much good while under way.  This is another
limitation of wrist units.  On the 60cs color screen I can see where I've been,
and where I'm going, with a good bit of detail, and different features are in
different colors so I can easily tell my track from the trail (or a stream).

Finally, the 60cs has a barometric altimeter and an electronic compass.  The
barometric altimeter is more accurate and an electronic compass works even when
you are not moving.  They do require calibration, but that's not difficult to
do.

The advantage of wrist units is that the display is always in front of you while
you ride, but that's not enough reason for me to use one.  I carry my 60cs in my
hand or pocket on training rides, or when finding my way in unfamiliar terrain,
but on endurance rides it stays in the cantle pack unless I need it.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx