Re: [RC] Pacing - Barbara McCrary

This is one of the most sensible pieces of advice I've ever read.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Pacing

I haven't followed this entire thread so my comments on the paragraph below may be way off base.  There are many horses that "metabolically" might be able to handle the pace or the gait the horse chooses or seems comfortable at but mechanically may break down.  Just because the horse travels at a low HR doesn't necessarily mean that mechanically he can canter or trot fast for 25 or 50 miles unless you have specifically trained for that.  I suggest traveling at the speed that you train for and travel at the gait that you condition for.  There are a lot of horses that are allowed to pick their own pace/gait at the beginning of a ride and end up not finishing.   Sometimes the damage done during the first part of a ride/race doesn't show up until the later stages of the competition and in my opinion it can be too late to accomplish anything positive by slowing down..

I think that the pace & gait you ride at during competition should reflect what you are trying to accomplish during the horse's training & conditioning rides.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648