Re: [RC] Skito pads and english saddles - Jody Rogers-Buttram

I have two Skito pads.  I bought one.  It has not held up worth a darn.  The pads themselves have "fallen to pieces".  The sweat must have rotted them....then there is the pad.  The material on the top side, the denim type, it has worn all apart as well.  Yes, I have taken it apart and washed it.  Plenty of times to keep the sweat/salt from eating it up.  Maybe I washed it too much.  Point is, I would never buy another one.  IT wasn't worth the price, for the comfort and wear that I got from it.  The other I have, was given to me.  So far, it has held up much better.  Time will tell.

Jody (who is an OF saddle person, but still loves to ride an english saddle/ with some type of pad that works)

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Cate P cpenguin57@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think it's fair to make a point blank statement that skito pads will distort the fit of an english saddle. Skito makes a pad with 1/2 inch inserts that is extremely complementary to an already good fitting saddle. It's probably marginally thicker than your woolback. I'm sure there are quite a few people who successfully use Skito pads to protect their horses backs and use english style endurance saddles. I also have an Arabian Saddle Co saddle, the Solstice model and I use a 1/2 inch insert Skito pad. It is not thick enough to distort my saddle fit, but does protect my horses back. Skitos wear forever and are easy to take apart and wash. Here's the disclaimer: I have done only 2 endurance rides and have under 1000 miles of CTR competition, and am not a certified expert saddle fitter. I don't work for Skito.