[RC] hay shortage in panhandle of Fl - question about oat hay? - Mary Maynard

We are in a serious drought with no rain since Feb. My pastures are not growing and looking a bit over grased. I am having a a time finding quality horse hay. No one can cut and bale because none of it is growing.
Back west I fed oat hay daily; a flake or two a day added to the other hays I fed there in Ca. My neighbor here in FL has beautiful round bales of oat hay. I have not seen oat hay in the 3 years that I have been out here of this quality.
I bought a round bale of the oat hay and I put it out in my fenced off back pasture. My plan is to have them eat on it it daily for small periods then put them back out into the other pasture. Here is my question. I never fed round bales out west, so I dont know if it is OK to leave the horses out with it all the time once my horse's have adjusted to the feed? I know it is done with grass hay but can you do that with oat hay - just leave it in the field and let them eat on it?
Now I am reconsidering leaving it out there in the back pasture and moving it into my barn and just supplementing daily with it.
Please share your experience with this feed in round bale form.
Thanks so much
Mary Anne
who has not seen such beautiful hay in a long time