[RC] Attack "Donkeys"? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Pat Murray murrayp@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We may not have bear where we live (eastern Oregon), but last Saturday a friend
and I were out riding in the BLM hills near Vale, Oregon.  During the spring
they run huge herds of sheep in that area.  In the past they used "sheep dogs"
but lately they have been switching over to "attack donkeys" (I believe they
are really mules???).  Usually whenever we see a sheep herders camp or sheep we
turn and head the opposite way to avoid any encounter or upset.  Last Saturday
we did just that...we saw the "donkeys" and horses...about 8 of them about 2
miles from us on another hill.  We turned to avoid them.  Evidently they saw
and or smelled us but literally chased us down (several miles)...circling my
friend who was holding both horses, as I had run to get the horse trailer to
GET OUT OF THERE! Thankfully in attempting to avoid them we had headed to the
main road.  Just before the "donkeys" got there (they had ran down this road
about 2 miles to get to her/our horses) a local "hero" stopped and help hold
them off until I got there with the trailor.  Shortly after the sheepherder
showed up and did get them under control and turned around.  Before the man
(our hero) stopped, Patty was acutally considering letting the horses lose as
we knew it was the horses they were after...not us - and with 8 of them, our
horses would be better off lose.  I'll take the dogs any day over the
"donkeys"...this was very frightening, potentially dangerous and the animals
were totally under no ones control and aggressive.