[RC] Ferocious Dobermans - Debbie Lyons

"I was doing a nice easy canter on the beach at Morrow Bay several
years ago when I passed about 100 feet in front of a guy walking his
doberman without a leash. The guy started screaming the dogs name but
the dog kept coming hard barking real fast and clicking his teeth. I
had miles of straight beach in front of me so I moved the horse
closer to the water where the wet sand is more firm and picked up the
pace just enough to keep the dog 50-100 feet behind. "

Actually all you had to do was get your horse into the water. I've owned many Dobermans and never had one that could swim very good. Most don't like water at all. We didn't know that about the breed with our first. He jumped off a dock to swim with the kids and my husband had to jump in and rescue him.