Re: [RC] Microchipping website-DIY - Truman Prevatt

The technology is coming. The present generation of microchips won't do it, but the next will. In five years you will be able to roll you cart - fill without removing anything through the checkout at Walmart, Target, etc. and all items will be identifed and you bill be be presented to you in a bat of an eye. This generation of RFID chips don't have the informatin capacity and signal diverstiy, the next generation will.

There is a lot of money going into them becuase the payoff is big in saving money for retailers and other folks. With these chips a herd or horses can be identifed one from another and to a specif ID (if they all carry a chip) as they pass through a gate.

Chipping is coming. FL is the USDA test state for it (because we control our borders for horse entry/exit so the bugs can be worked out). Pretty soon it will be very easy to get in and out of FL if your horse is chipped and a pain in the butt if he isn't. The next step is to require chipping for SE interstate passports. I know a lot of vets are not real keen on the ideal but it's coming - independent of how keen they are.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

My question about ID's on horses has always been this: I have seen tons of horses go thru auctions with freeze brands on them, and nobody ever questioned them....so registering them, then turning them in as stolen, and then hoping the salebarn will look? I would think with this, which has no visible mark (unlike a brand) that they would have to check every horse that matched the description of your horse to see if he was there. I just don't see this as being a practical method, at the run of the mill sale. At least the branding stands out a little more, and is still overlooked.

*/Christina Schiro <christina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    I don't see why you couldn't do it yourself. A vet just
    micro-chipped my horse a couple months ago. The vet just stuck the
    needle in. You still have to complete all the paperwork and send
    it in yourself. You will need someone there to assist you with
    your horse. Most horses do not like that chip going in. And there
    will be a little bit of blood. Might be a good time to break the
    twitch out. Of course the vet did have a reader that he ran over
    the chip to make sure it was readable. So that would be a draw
    back if you do it yourself. But maybe the next time you go the vet
    or have the vet out, ask them to bring their micro-chip reader
    with them.

*/L gin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>/* wrote:

        I was looking for a way to ID my horses-- and found this---
        anybody use
        it --what are your thoughts on it? Is is viable--wyh or why not?

http://www.netposse.com/microchips.htm

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman3/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com> PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell