From: heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:57:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [RC] Bear

I'm guessing that there was something wrong with this particular bear.  Black bears are usually pretty non-aggressive and even fairly timid.  Very sad situation, but certainly not the norm with black bears.  I grew up in a fishing resort in British Columbia and one day had 4 different bears in camp, usually the dog kept them away but the fish house attracted them.  Only had one sow come after my dad, but she had two 2 year old cubs she was protecting.  The others pretty much took off with a clap of the hands.  Funny story, when we moved there, 1966 (I was 2) my mom used to tell everyone that she KNEW if a bear ever chased her that she'd be so scared, that she was sure her adrenalin could get her up a tree faster than a bear could chase her.  One morning my dad came and got my sister and I out of bed to see a little black bear that was about 50 feet from the house.  We were all watching it when my dad clapped his hands and that bear was in that tree in a matter of seconds.  My mom quit saying she'd climb a tree to get away from one after that.  Lived there 18 years, other than the bears getting into garbage/fish house or someones camper (with a steak thawing on the counter) there were no "real" bear problems.  I have LOTS of bear stories, one other large boar had figured out how to open one of the propane fridge's on the back porch and was sitting there enjoying a prime rib of beef and pumpkin pie.  I think that may be the open mouth rug I have on my den wall!!!  I had an old sway back QH when I was 9 that ran loose and was napping in the sun one day, my dad saw this bear casually walk around the corner of one of the cabins and come face to face with Babe.  She snorted and raised her head and he squalled and lit out for parts unknown!!!

heidi

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

The cover of the Chattanooga Times has a photo of a dead bear on the cover today and we're all cheering. Last Thursday it attacked a 2 year old boy, then mauled his mother as she tried to beat it off. The 6 year old daughter paniced and ran into the woods and the bear chased her down and killed her. I had planned to ride near there Saturday but they closed the area down. They think they've caught the one that did it but have to check his stomach contents first. The people had no food, were doing nothing but hiking. They're not all fluffy & cute (and this was a black bear). Same paper, article about the cougar that attacked the kid out west being killed. I don't believe in exterminating wildlife but they are wild and I respect that. A hunting season reminds wildlife that we are dangerous and encourages them to leave us alone.

Angie