RE: [RC] How do you teach horse to defend itself against dogs? - Tracey Lomax

Karen wrote:

How do you teach a horse to attack a dog to defend itself, especially when you take your dogs riding with you and have taught your horse to tolerate dogs?

At the risk of stating the obvious, I do it by teaching my horse that when I put my leg on he is to go FORWARD in the direction I am aiming, until such time as I say otherwise.  That means that, irrespective of what is in his way, he is to move FORWARDS.   Sometimes this means running over a dog, other times it means jumping over a cross country obstacle.  Usually it just means keeping going along a road.

It’s all about obedience.

I’ve been attacked by dogs on horseback.  My horses will kick if a dog runs in aggressively behind them (and they do know the difference between aggressive dogs and non-aggressive as they have no difficulty on trail when my dogs go nose-to-hock with them.  It’s not something you teach them, it’s something they just know).  My horses will also chop out at an aggressive dog – again, they don’t chop at non-aggressive ones (my own and other peoples’).

But I don’t think you need to teach your horse to chop at dogs or kick them.  You just have to teach him to KEEP GOING regardless of whether or not there is a dog in the way – most dogs WILL move, or get run over.

Now, if anyone can show me how to teach my dumbass dogs that getting in the way of a jump is just STUPID and may result in being run over, do let me know.

Tracey

(purposely staying out of the discussion on pit bulls, dog fighting, whammo sticks, etc)