[RC] dog attacks - k s swigart

Diane said:

The dog world can be divided into the ones who think it's
fun (interesting, exciting, enjoyable, natural) to chase horses
(cats, raccoons, other dogs, deer) and those who attack
other living things with a religious zeal that would put Billy
Graham to shame. If you are dealing with the former,
anything you do that makes the experience unpleasant
will be helpful. If you are dealing with the latter, you must
treat the situation as a fight to the death because the dog
WILL!

While I have my doubts that even one in a million dogs falls into the
latter category that she mentions, it is still virtually irrelevant if
you are on a horse.  If you have trained your horse to be agressive
towards dogs rather than to run away, there isn't a dog alive that is a
match for it. So if this rare dog treats the situation as a fight to the
death (or if you corner it so it can't run away...which I don't
recommend), it will end up getting killed. If the horse chooses to run
away instead, there isn't a dog alive than can keep up.

In contests between a dog and a horse.  All the advantage lies with the
horse.  The only way that a dog can mitigate this advantage is with
surprise.  A wise horse owner takes the time to teach his horse what to
do in the event of being surprised.

kat
Orange County, Calif.