RE: [RC] dog attacks - Pat and Janett Van Nuland

Well, not really in the ear. It's called a breaking stick and it pry's the
mouth open after locking. Yes, they do lock. Kind of like a vise grip. the
hinge part of the jaw moves to make it easier to hold something in the jaws,
without much effort on the dogs part. The jaw also does a grinding motion
back and forth in this position, micro shredding. Pit bulls have to learn
how to release the lock and it ends up being a trail and error till they
learn, some don't have the proper toys to learn this. Pit bulls were bull
and boar baiters, and when that was outlawed they became dog fighters. There
is this thing called Gameness that these (and a few other breeds have) it is
a will to "never give up." If a Pit is going to attack they don't usually
give warnings like raising the hackles, growling , or even barking. There is
no need to give warning, because they are going to attack regardless. The
have a high tolerance to pain.  They are very sweet to humans in general,
but their up bringing makes a difference . If you are not the pack leader,
then they are, whether you know it or not. They are smart and dominating
dogs, They are Terriers. (Terriers also have longer canine teeth, and in
general there teeth are bigger)

I owned a few and have known many. Like in all breeds of dogs they are not
all equally good , per standards. Their is the AKC, which doesn't recognize
Pit bulls, they are Staffordshire Terriers, (same dog hundreds of years ago
with different standards. This size head, body, tail, temperaments etc. till
the Gameness was pretty much breed out of them. They look the same as the
others). ADBA still breeds for gameness. They want dog fighting Pits, they
don't care what size head or body style it has, only that it is a game dog.
Also back in the 1920's and 30's (before dog fight was outlawed) it was a
classy event to go to. Suits and ties were the attire. They have certain
rules to follow as well. Not all fights were to the end like you always hear
about. The dogs went to opposite ends of the box , which was a certain size
and the dogs were release to fight. One rule was if a dog turned it's head
away from the opponent it was called a scratch. The dogs were separated and
the turning dog was released against the other, according to how fast it
went back after the opponent. I would have to go back and reread my info to
get the rules exact. No, I have never been to a dog fight, but I have seen
lots of dog fights between other breeds and when I got into Pit bull I had
to learn about their history. When a Pit fights another Pit it is very
different then other dogs fighting. They enjoy doing it, it makes them
happy. Scary and intriguing all at the same time. Kind of if you bought  a
lab you would want to understand why that dog always wants to fetch
something, i.e.: retrieve ducks from the water. Anyhow like I said not all
of the same breed fit all the standards. Some can't fight, some are good at
it, some are not, dominating most are , some have a high tolerance for pain
some don't. EACH is an individual.

I think most people who own them now don't really understand what they own,.
They are deadly weapons with the wrong owner. I have seen it time and again.
My Pit thought he was a tough cat. He was raised with and around cats all
his 15 years. he even had his own cat (she preferred him to us). He had a
pet duck, but even when he go lose to chase a cat that wasn't ours he just
wanted to sniff "kitty butt" . But a dog well that was a different story. I
got him at 4 weeks and put him down at 15 years. He raised all three of my
kids, (he was 7 when I had kids). we had other dogs at our house but outside
dogs well that was different. My Dad was dog sitting him and our other dog
while we were gone 2 days. We left instructions to not take him anywhere. Of
course Dad always knows best :>) well not in this case. He took him in the
back of the truck to a small shopping area, not tied in . He jumped out and
attacked a Scotty. Three men hit him with a shovel, 4x4 and stabbed him in
the back with a 4 prong pitch fork, about 3-4 inches deep. None of this
bothered the dog, in fact Dad said he didn't even notice, which of course
freaked everyone out. MY Dad called me to inform me he was on his way to put
my dog down because of this. I spent about a hour convincing him not to do
anything till I got home in the morning. We were 2 hours away. I have 15
years of stories just with that one alone and he was special to me even now.
He was also large 98 lbs of pure muscle, he use to pull our old 63 Nova down
the street.

I tried to introduce him to horses when I got back into them, no way he was
going to eat my mare . I think he just figured it was another larger dog,
same with the bull he met once, no fear.

Anyhow to make this short, they are a special breed and I love them to
death, BUT allot of people should NOT own them that do.
Just be careful they have been known to be shot in the head and be dead and
still locked on to what ever it was to start with.