Re: [RC] dogs that attack - to Donna (and Bob) - Flora Hillman

Donna -

Since you mentioned you foxhunt, Bob should already know what a whipper-in's whip sounds like.

Get a good hunt whip with a long lash and teach Bob to accept quietly that whip being cracked from his back.   If you don't know how to crack it, ask your huntsman or one of the whipper-ins to show you how.  That whip can be a UNFORGETTABLE dog deterrent! I know some whipper-ins who can crack their hunt whip like a sonic boom...and those hounds LISTEN!  So would a cur dog!  Sometimes just dangling the lash along your horse's side as a warning is enough, along with a sternly voiced warning from you.  A dog that doesn't heed finds the next thing will be a very loud, very nasty sounding crack from the whip. I think you'd quickly see at the first "crack!" most dogs screech to a halt, and at the second "crack!" most turn tail and slink (or run) home!

Most horses, once they've been exposed to the sound of the cracking whip (which doesn't take long at all -- sometimes only a matter of minutes), will stand quietly while that whip is in use. My endurance horse stands like the Rock of Gibraltar when my hunt whip is in motion, and even galloping across a field after hounds I can have that whip cracking like rifle fire and he doesn't even blink an eye, but stays right on course.

 The whip is designed to be an awesome "educator" for a hound (or cur) -- and if ever the hound (or cur) gets close enough to be hit with the lash they NEVER EVER forget!

A hunt whip is easier that trying to carry mace, or a squirt gun, or a pad of paper to record the incident. Plus the horn end is handy for opening and closing gates as well. :-)

Flora and Itchy (who thinks being a whipper-in's horse in the off-season is a blast, **adores** the hounds and **loves** those chickencoop fences we have to hurtle when the pack is in full cry)