[RC] Dog attacks while riding - Dolores Arste

I haven't read all the posts on this subject. But, I can recount a
successful venture into the world of dogs.

Last winter while riding the roads in Arkansas, I kept running into multiple
dog households where
the dogs felt very protective and would come out to harass us. I teach all
my horses to chase
dogs and anything that frightens them for that matter. So, that was our
first plan. We could
successfully chase the dogs back. But, each day when we returned we'd have
to do it again.

Then I read "Click to Calm" which you can find here:
http://tinyurl.com/8t8gx and decided
to take a completely different tact. I loaded my pockets with dog biscuits.
And, when
I'd run into the dogs, I threw the biscuits at the dogs. Sometimes I'd bonk
them and other
times not but the biscuits landing would get their attention. Sometimes
they'd eat them
other times not while I was there. But, after just a couple of days of doing
this, the
dogs stopped coming at me barking and instead came to the edge of their
property and
started sniffing around.

My guess is that they began to think that every time I showed up, good
things would
fall from heaven. I don't think they ever connected that it was me throwing
the biscuits.
But, they sure connected with the fact that when I came along, goodies just
might appear.

After only 3-4 days, I could stop throwing the cookies and the dogs still
looked hopefully for them.
I guess its like the slot machines. You get hooked on the hope that you may
hit pay dirt.
I was a lot more fun watching them hunt for the cookies that it was to chase
them.

Every so often after that, I'd throw cookies, trying not to become too
predictable. And,
never had a problem with the dogs again.

Dolores Arste
CEO - Zen Guidance, LLC
518 882 6485

Life Coach and Wellness Guide