Re: [RC] Calories burned riding--advice - Susan

Sky Ranch <skyranch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The only way that you will lose weight is the obvious -- you must consume less calories than you use.

I'm laughing because this is something most of us know.  I certainly do!  So, my question is, WHY do many of us gain wait after an endurance ride?  I can promise you I drank a lot...although not enough.  I can also tell you I didn't eat much of anything all day.  While we're already discussed the fluid loss/gain, that still doesn't account for the excess weight gain...presuming  food intake has been "normal".

Has anyone addressed lactic acid build-up?

Someone has already stated if she eats normally after a ride, she'll lose weight.  However, if she eats what she wants, she'll gain.  Once again, it's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering from DIRE hunger!

So, what I'm hearing is that it is normal to be really hungry days after a ride.  Just eat right and I'll keep the weight off (after the fluid weight has settled down) and lose weight.  Is that right?

One other question: has anyone been on mega-doses of steriods for an extended length of time?  I was on 500cc IV 2x/day for 4 days then 100 g pills twice a day.  I was tapered off over a 6-month period.  I gained 100 pounds and have most of it off...but not all.  Granted, I was living in a very stressful situation up till 2 years ago.  Once I was out of the situation, the weight has gradually come off.  Have any of you found steriod weight this difficult to lose?

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)