[RC] Elly's question - draft horses - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

Elly-  Any type of horse can be capable of doing endurance, and don't let anyone tell you any different.  My friend Mike Jaffe from Texas was pictured on the cover of Endurance News a few years ago on his Belgian during a ride, and I have seen several draft crosses go the distance in Ontario, where we northern NYers ride often.  In the other end of the spectrum, I have ridden 350 miles on a 13 hand Icelandic pony with almost 5000 miles to his credit (I am 5'7", BTW).  As someone else said, Dennis and Sue Summers in the NW region have campaigned a big draft cross mustang - they stopped and stayed with us on their way to the Pan Ams in VT with her.

There will always be someone who wants to discourage you from anything you do - don't let them get you down.  Ride your horse carefully and within his abilities, have fun and HAPPY TRAILS!!

Laura Hayes
Brocton, NY  AERC#2741