Re: [RC] Calories Burnt Riding - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Some interesting points, Nik! So maybe there's a teleological (intelligent
design/causal) reason why metabolism slows down as we age--so that old folks
won't overburden our sons and grandsons as they attempt to provide enough
saber tooth tiger meat for the 4 generations of the family living in the
cave.

3 other points about weight and metabolism:

1.  WEIGHT VS % BODY FAT--Horse and ranch people have more muscle mass than
sedentary people. Muscle weighs more than fat and is 3x more metabolically
active. So if there are 2 overweight people who weigh 180, the horse person
might be 20% body fat and the sedentary person might be 30% body fat. And
the more muscular person has a higher metabolic rate.

This chart suggests that if we're smarter than we are fat, we should lose
weight in no time:

     Organ or tissue  Daily metabolic rate
     Adipose (fat)  2 calories per pound
     Muscle 6 calories per pound
     Liver 91 calories per pound
     Brain 109 calories per pound
     Heart 200 calories per pound
     Kidneys 200 calories per pound

2. SUSTAINED INCREASE IN METABOLIC RATE--The metabolic rate stays up for
several hours after exercise and is a function of the highest rate achieved
during that activity. Therefore, spending at least some time in anaerobic
acitivity (breathing hard, if health permits), results in a higher metabolic
rate, more calories burned, for more time after exercise. This is also my
personal experience with what happens vs. doesn't happen when I run/stop
running, with a lot of time spent at anaerobic threshold and into flat out
anaerobics. (Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever gone anaerobic
while riding--I wonder if anyone else has?)

3. POST-MENOPAUSAL ESTROGENS--As noted previously in a RC thread,
post-menopausal women should maintain some fat for bone health and
safety--both as padding and as a source of estrogen. :-)

Beverley