[RC] Calories Burned Riding: Calculate + Measure Metabolism - Gloria Adams

Here is a webpage that gives you Cals burned riding based on your wgt: http://www.healthstatus.com/cbc.html

If you carry your GPS your will know how fast you are going, for say, the walking.

Also, as a recent article in Endurance News noted: carrying wgts helps you burn more calories.

So, if you buy those 5# (or however much) ankle wgts & walk around all day with them when you are not riding, you apparently could help yourself (I cannot do this all day however, as I have end-stage hip arthritis & my physical therapist & orthopod (who I have been going to for 2 yrs) told me I will be doing too much damage to my hip if I do this all day long. I can only do this as per my prescribed exercise routine).

I also recently went to my primary care doctor, whose office has a bariatric clinic in it. For $25, I got a “Target Calorie” zone for myself, based on my metabolism, which they measure when you breathe into a tube for a minute or so. This test is from the company ReeVue Indirect Calorimeter www.korr.com  .This was very enlightening (&&& depressing L ) for this 40 something woman. Boy, I cannot eat much…, I am 5’10”, in my forties, ride 3-5x a week for 1-3 hours, physical therapy exercise for 1 hr 3x a week, & I could only eat 1500 calories/24 hrs to keep the wgt I am. Obviously, to LOSE wgt, I’d have to eat less (or exercise more which is pretty much impossible with my arthritis & bad back).

I need to get my hip replaced, but I am too chicken…

But I thought you all might be interested  in the webpage & the metabolic test.