[RC] Biodiesel - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: David Bennett endure161@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been making biodiesel since last fall to use in my trucks and my M-B that
I drive daily.  It has many things in favor of it in addition to low cost.  It
runs THE SAME as petro diesel and has the SAME energy per gram.  It is,
however, more detergent and will clean out the entire fuel system.  That would
explain initial high maintenance if one had a fleet that switched to it.  They
would have to replace fuel filters a time or two before all the crud was out
and quit clogging the filters.  I had to replace the filter in my Dodge CTD
twice before it quit clogging up.  So, it's a good idea to get the cleanout
done at home and not get stuck on the road!
Most homebrew biodiesel producers use waste fryer vegetable oil.  The best
comes from asian restaurants.  I filter it, convert it to biodiesel using a
process called transesterification, and then wash it to remove any soap
particles that may have been produced.
It can be run straight as-is or blended with petro diesel and runs fine either
way.  There is NO MODIFICATION to the vehicle necessary at all.  Some people
use straight veggie oil - not converted - and that often does require mods to
the vehicle and has problems with flowing in cold weather.  Depending on the
oil stock used, some biodiesel has this same cold weather problem.  As far as
commercial biodiesel, it is the same price here in  SE Tennessee as regular
petro diesel but is only available as B20, a blend of 20% biodiesel and the
rest petro.  My homebrew biodiesel costs about 90 cents a gallon to produce
using waste veggie oil that I get free from some Thai and Chinese restaurants.
Only problem I have with biodiesel right now is having enough tank capacity on
my truck to use it for long trips.  So, I plan to add a 90-gal tank...

Dave Bennett