Re: [RC] Diesel at $3 a gallon - Barbara McCrary

There is one issue about biodiesel that bothers me. I'm not convinced there is enough land to grow enough corn to make enough biodiesel to satisfy the needs of everyone here in the USA. Furthermore, in order to grow that corn, farmers must use tractors, which run on fuel. And the fields must be fertilized, using chemical fertilizers that are made from...oil. Now we could use the slurry from dairy barns, or the manure from hog-feeding operations, but then again, large trucks will be needed to haul that manure to the growing corn fields. That takes time and man-power in excess of what it takes now to haul sacks of chemical fertilizer and distribute them onto the fields. It would also take fuel to transport the larger number of trucks that it would take to haul the manure, as opposed to the number it would take to haul chemical fertilizers in sacks. Does anyone think biodiesel will really solve our energy problems? Think about it. With the nation's current population, we couldn't even go back to driving horses for transportation, should anyone be willing to do this. Where, and how, would the nation grow enough hay to feed all those horses? And can you see anyone but us endurance riders nowadays putting up with the smell, flies and horse poop on the streets? No way. This issue makes a really interesting game of trying to think how to make alternative energy sources work.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "LaFollett, Megan" <meganl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:18 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Diesel at $3 a gallon

Two points...

1) One of the reasons the price of diesel has gone up recently, and is
going to go up sharply again in the next two months, is a new Federal
low-sulfur diesel requirement...the result of which is that diesel
processing facilities have to decrease the sulfur content to about 1ppm.
The chemical used to extract the sulfur is very expensive, so this is
reflecting directly in the cost to the consumer. The first phase of the
regulations went into place in January, and the last phase takes place
in June...so the "jump at the pump" this summer won't simply be due to
the usual summer increase.

2) If you'd like to know more about a fuel alternative that could
actually supply ALL of our country's fuel needs, you should look into
algae-derived biodiesel. Michael Briggs of the University of New
Hampshire has some good info on his biodiesel group site:

http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

Also, last term I was involved in a very in-depth project focused on
using protein biotechnology to improve the oil production of algae. So I
have some very good information if anyone would like a copy of my
project. We would have loved to actually implement our ideas, but we're
all a little too involved in getting our PhDs :-). However, anyone is
welcome to use our ideas...I'd love to see this happen.

~Megan