Re: [RC] Trailer Water Tanks - Sisu West Ranch

Assuming that you used RV antifreeze (usually pink in color) by the time it is no longer pink, you should have no residual taste.  You may have some bugs growing in the tanks.  Some can live on the propylene glycol in RV antifreeze.  It is the price we pay for not using poisionous car antifreeze in our tanks.

Anyway, if I had this problem I would pour a bunch (really scientific here) (say 1 cup per 20 gals), of chlorine laundry bleach into the tank.  Fill with water and let sit for a day or so.  Then drain and flush until the horid bleach taste and smell is gone.  Other odors and bacteria should be dead and flushed out of the system.

If the system includes pipes and pumps, after the bleach has had the time to get dispersed around the tank (you could shake the tank, or drive down a bumpy road with the tank half full), run all taps until the water smells of bleach at each one.

The nice thing about chlorine bleach is that even though it kills everything, it is rather short acting, and when you can no longer smell it there is no residual problem.

Ed

"Better living through Chemistry"

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road