Re: [RC] diagonals - Truman Prevatt

I switch by staying up an extra beat - easier on my lower back. You might actually be switching more than you know since as long as you have been riding and with all the money your mother spent on you to teach you how to ride to has become a subconscious reflex. This may be especially true it going around a turn, flipping between them going through curves, etc..

I pretty much feel as I ride and I do change as we wind through the woods. The only time I am really conscious of changing diagonals or leads for that matter is on the straight where I try to do it often. Sometimes I do - sometimes I don't. A good spook usually help ;-) . I have a difficult time telling you which diagonal I am on but when I'm heading into a turn I always seem to be on the correct one. If I am not it really feels funky going around the turn.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

Angie,
From what I understand, the way to do it is to SIT two beats. That is what I was taught, and I do hope that my mother didn't throw away lots of money on Horsemanship school. I think that the sitting two beats is less noticeable, and in the show ring, they want the rider to not show any cues/movements to the horse.
Now, on to the diagonal issue.
First off the disclaimer: I know that this is incorrect!!! I have never spent much time in the *other* diagonal. To tell you the truth, I would have to get on the horse and post to see which one it is. I have been riding the same darn one for WAY too much time.(1979)
BUT, I can honestly say, that my horses (and I have ridden several to high mileage in this manner) have never been lame, had foot abnormalities, or been shaped assymetrical. At the same time, none of these horses have shown me that they prefer one diagonal over the other, I can switch diagonals, the horse doesn't "push or throw" off to the other, make funny faces, back her ears...nothing. I am not as comfy, but we can both do it. I do switch up some on rides, little more on 100's...but never had a problem. So, what I am wondering, I understand that the horse is being forced to use the same muscles, but WHY isn't it showing up???? Why does my horse seem so balanced???? I have had massage people work on them prior to rides and after rides and they would comment on how balanced the rider must be on the horse, by what they are finding/feeling. So what is going on here????? I would LOVE to hear a good reason for it.
Jody and the girls (hopefully staying balanced) :))))

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell