[RC] Second Check after Regular Vet-Check - rhsydnor

I just returned from completing The Square Nail on Saturday, April First, in the Carson Desert, about 20 miles north of Reno, Nevada.  It was cold, in the mid-30s to low-40s with a biting wind.  My horse had a prior history of colic from a ride last summer --- so I rode conservatively.  At the 20-mile vet check, Dr. Rob Lydon, DVM, carefully checked twice for gut motility sounds.  I rested him for over two hours at lunch time, while most of the 65 other riders proceeded on the regular schedule.  Before remounting, I asked Dr. Lyon for a "second" gut motility check, which he was happy to do.
      At the end of the ride, Dr. Rob Lydon and Dr. Susan McCartney also checked for gut motility sounds...and they gave me their business cards so I could phone them later on in the evening, or the next day.  Both were excellent veterinarians and were glad to perform a second check.  My horse was just fine (no colic)  ....thanks to both of these vets.  The next day, while I pulled over Donner Pass in the snow, I phoned both vets and thanked them for their extra help and second checks for gut sounds.
           Bob Sydnor       AERC member M34821     RHSydnor@xxxxxxx