[RC] Diagonals/Feet/Mane and being Crooked - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

After 7000 endurance miles, and a lifetime of riding lessons (dressage, hunter/jumper, reining), I still am not as comfortable in the left diagonal as the right--on any horse.  I can't explain that, but it is true.  I have ridden at least 15-18 different endurance horses in rides of 50 or more miles, and have not sat one that was more comfortable in the right as the left.  Sooooo, I am sure it is me--what does that mean?  I have no idea.

As a farrier, I can tell you that the vast majority of these horses did not have one foot bigger than any other, and their manes fell to either side.  In fact, my two current mares have very symetrical feet and big heavy manes on different sides- both bump me back to the right, given a chance.  My defence of this is to two point ALOT.  I will post on the left for awhile, then stand in my stirrups for twice as long, then post on the bad diagonal for a little bit, then stand again for a few miles--been doing it for 25 years.  I have had no distinguishabl e pattern of lameness in any of my horses....and no hind limb lamesnesses at all.

Laura Hayes(again, I am doing it different than others....a pattern, maybe??)