RE: [RC] diagonals - LaFollett, Megan

On a side note (but possibly related)…I have a question about knee pain after riding. I’ve ridden for over 15 years (which is the vast majority of my life), but I had to take several months off up until last fall due to moving to a new state and leaving my horse with family. After I started riding again, I noticed that my right knee KILLS me after just a few miles, and I can barely walk on it for the first ½ hour or so after finishing a ride. I also had to switch from jeans to breeches because the inside of my right knee was rubbing raw (I’ve worn the exact same brand and style of jeans for over 4 years…yeah, I’m not stuck in a rut J). I don’t think I’m being prideful in saying that I have very good equitation, or at least I did before my long break. I’ve competed at the national level in Advanced Western Horsemanship in the IHSA (which if anybody knows anything about IHSA, it provides an EXCELLENT test of your horsemanship, as you compete on horses you’ve never even seen before). Any thoughts on what might be causing the issues? My right ankle is weaker due to an old injury, so I’m thinking it might be related somehow, but I don’t know. Also, (which makes it relevant to the current thread?), I realize I favor the right diagonal when I’m on the trail…???

Thanks for the ideas…

Megan

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody Rogers-Buttram
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:41 AM
To: rides2far@xxxxxxxx; Shagyaarabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] diagonals

Angie,

 From what I understand, the way to do it is to SIT two beats.  That is what I was taught, and I do hope that my mother didn't throw away lots of money on Horsemanship school.  I think that the sitting two beats is less noticeable, and in the show ring, they want the rider to not show any cues/movements to the horse.

Now, on to the diagonal issue.

First off the disclaimer:  I know that this is incorrect!!!   I have never spent much time in the *other* diagonal.  To tell you the truth, I would have to get on the horse and post to see which one it is.  I have been riding the same darn one for WAY too much time.(1979)

BUT, I can honestly say, that my horses (and I have ridden several to high mileage in this manner) have never been lame, had foot abnormalities, or been shaped assymetrical.  At the same time, none of these horses have shown me that they prefer one diagonal over the other,  I can switch diagonals, the horse doesn't "push or throw" off to the other, make funny faces, back her ears...nothing.  I am not as comfy, but we can both do it.  I do switch up some on rides, little more on 100's...but never had a problem.  So, what I am wondering, I understand that the horse is being forced to use the same muscles, but WHY isn't it showing up????  Why does my horse seem so balanced????  I have had massage people work on them prior to rides and after rides and they would comment on how balanced the rider must be on the horse, by what they are finding/feeling.   So what is going on here?????  I would LOVE to hear a good reason for it.

Jody and the girls (hopefully staying balanced)   :))))

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>The crooked rider can cause the horse to prefer a specific diagonal.

I know sometimes we blame the horse when it's really us. A friend of mine always said her horse preferred his right diagonal and made her ride it. She said he'd pop her over onto it. Then while she was sick I rode him for 6 months or so. Sure enough, *I* felt like he made me ride my left. It was obviously the *riders* who had a preference.

Kaboot would try to keep me on the left during the first half of an endurance ride, but the last half it was very easy to stay on the right. I guess his left was getting tired and he was more willing to have me on the right. I can ride either of his easily now. My problem with my new horse is the same I used to have with Kaboot...when I switch to my right, he breaks into a canter, then when I drop him back into the trot I'm back on the left. :-P

New point. How many of you bounce twice to change diagonals? I gave that up a long time ago...too many bounces! I stand an extra beat. Since I tend to ride this horse one handed (hackamore) I switch which hand has the reins too. I prefer two hands so I'll sit straighter.

Angie