From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody Rogers-Buttram
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 2:07 PM
To: Jackie Causgrove; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] diagonals/riding crooked

To me at least, the riding of trails/endurance forces one to be much more aware of where your horses feet/legs are going...therefore causing you to look down at the trail in front of you.  Not straight out between the ears, not dropping your eyes even like you would in a show ring.  Try this, try riding looking straight ahead...and just *look* down...you will ever so slightly drop your head.  I was taught not even to lower my eyes in the ring.  :))

Jackie Causgrove <fairhairwolf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you don't have someone to watch you, then try a couple of these....

One stand up in your stirrups and drop your weight in your heels, and then sit back down.  There should be a plumb line from your ears, shoulders, hips and heels, regardless of the discipline you ride in.

Another quick cue is that the zipper of your jeans should be in the middle of the saddle (unfortunately, that one requires that you drop you head to look down) but as a quick reference, it's not bad.  Just don't trade one bad habit for another!  :)

Jackie