Re: [RC] Anemia - Lani M Olson

Don't want to sound scary, but sometimes there are uncommon causes for anemia. I had a fat Morab mare that didn't seem right. Had the vet out when her heart rate went to 72 - he couldn't find anything wrong except she was overweight, took a blood sample at my insistence. Lo and behold, she was anemic. Put her on Red Cell and did lots of tests, lots of dollars, finally told me she had encysted strongyles, do a purge. About three months later when the snow came, I discovered she was peeing blood - a LOT of blood. Took her to different vet and discovered she had a kidney hemorrhaging and it had obviously been doing so for a long time - too long. We tried to save her but it wasn't meant to be. She was 7 years old. I only post this so people also have a vet check for uncommon things too, maybe it will save someone the heartbreak.
Lani