[RC] Dennis Farnham--Come back Shane! - Bruce Weary DC

Dennis--
Glad to hear you patched things up with Angie. She's a hoot and really quite harmless. Especially with half a jug of that Southern corn liquor in her. She snores a bit, but she's a great riding partner.
I hope you will not just lurk, but rather share with us what you have learned, good and bad, about conditioning a horse safely to the higher levels of performance that enabled your wife to win her first three races. This sport is very concerned about horse welfare, as you know, and so speed scares many of us. But if we can learn more about how conditioning can actually toughen the horse rather than break it down, many of us would like to hear about it. Our country would also like to be more competitive, safely, at the international level as well. There are horses in the history of our sport-- Rio, Kahlil, Gazal, Ladd, etc., who have both gone fast and had great longevity. Some horses probably accomplish this on a large dose of genetic superiority, but for those of us whose horses are less endowed, we are left with the challenge of maximizing our horse's potential with smart conditioning, training and feeding. Admittedly, a very small percentage of the members of our sport would assign themselves the label of "racer," but we all want to have the best day we can with our horse, safely.
This could lead to a very lively discussion, as occassionally, rare individuals here on RC muster an opinion on things as well. Bruce Weary