[RC] Square Nail - Aaron Turnage

Well my boy Sinatra and I are another step closer to our first 100 this year.  Finished our first 50 of the season last weekend at Square Nail.  Had our second fastest ride ever, finished in a BLAZING 7:32!  =)  We're working on a steady pace that will allow us to finish our first 100 (planning on Sunriver June 17th) with about a 6 mph average.  I was able to ride more consistently this winter, but I was only riding about once every weekend or so.  People are right, once the horse has a base (we're starting our 3rd year) they do maintain that conditioning.  My boy was tired, as in ready for a NAP, but finished with all A's all day.

The weather was surprisingly NICE!  Those that came earlier on Friday made it with no issues.  Friday night was pretty bad, you could tell the rigs that came over the pass from CA late because they still had snow on them.  But it only rained at camp.  There was a slight dusting of snow on the one hill in the morning, but was quickly melting.  Perfect cool weather with a slight breeze made it very nice for the horses.  Awards were presented upon finishing, Barry Waitte won and received BC, I believe he was riding the horse that was on the Gold Medal team at Fairhill last year, but that is all I know.

My friend San finished her first 50 with her boy Taz, it was his first 50 as well.  We did the 30 at Rides of March two weeks ago and decided he was ready to move up.  We've been riding together when possible and Taz was more than ready to go the distance.  He looked great at the end, lots of go left!  Taz has a slightly faster comfortable working pace than Sinatra does, so I really like riding with them since it helps Sinatra to move out a little bit more than his comfort zone.  Towards the end though he would prefer to just keep his slower trot and let Taz go head and then wait until they walked to catch up.  I told San to go on ahead the last 5 miles and she finished a couple of minutes ahead of us.

Next stop, High Desert.  Hope the weather is better so you Californians can make it over the pass without incident.

~ Crysta & Sinatra