[RC] The Weekend from Hell - Joe Long

We rode the Indian Springs 100 this weekend at Binn's Ranch in New Mexico.  A
good ride, well managed, well-marked trails, great hospitality.  Alas, it was
not exactly a good time for Kat and I (or Sanshra).

First, the transmission went out on our truck just as I parked the trailer.  I
lost all forward gears, after barely getting the truck to move away from the
trailer after unhitching.  Reverse worked fine, so I backed it around to park
it.  I thought it might have just been low on fluid, so I added some, but that
didn't help.

So, Saturday morning while I'm riding the 100, Kat is having our truck hauled
into Socoro to the Ford dealer there, planning to rent a car so that we can get
home.  Roger Taylor helped us hook up with the Ford dealer, and Susan Horne
brought Sanshra home for us in her trailer.   We got the word from the dealer
this morning that the transmission must be replaced, and it's not covered under
any warranty.  We'll drive the rental car back the end of the week to pick up
our truck and trailer (the trailer is still at base camp).

Well, Kat couldn't find a rental car in Socoro and had to go another 100+ miles
to Albuqueque to rent one, and so was gone all day mostly waiting on her rides.
Meanwhile back at the ranch, Sanshra was having a bad day.  No one specific
think, just a case of "ADR" (Ain't doin' right).  This early in the season for
us I think he wasn't fully back from the effects of the sand at the mulitday
ride two weeks ago.  Anyway, although he was first to recover at the 50-mile vet
check, his gut sounds were nil and he just nibbled at his food, looking
dejected.  He didn't even want to walk with me when I walked him.  The vets had
asked me to come back for a recheck, to recheck the gut sounds, but I told them
I was pulling from the ride.

I put him over near the horses we'd been riding with and he "stole" some of
their food, and began to perk up some.  The vets did a recheck and his gut
sounds were back, but I still pulled.  It is possible that had I just waited
there another hour or so, then gone on at a reduced pace, we could have
finished, but I just didn't think it was worth the risk.  I'd rather pull with a
questionable horse than try to go on and get into real trouble, and even if we
had managed to finish, it wouldn't have been fun for either of us.

After Sanshra and I were trailered back to camp, and Kat didn't show up for
hours and hours, I got concerned and called the State Police (Kat won't carry a
cellphone).  I'd just finished explaining the situation and gave the woman Kat's
name when there was some noise in the background and the State Police woman says
"She was taken to the County Detention Center."  Well, THAT got my attention!
But she was talking on the radio about another case.

Kat finally showed up,it was just a case of having to wait so long to get a ride
to Albuqueque and rent a car.

Alas, the $4,000 this is going to cost us is going to force me to scale back my
ride plans for this year -- how much remains to be seen.  But my hope to compete
for the National 100 Mile Award is pretty much in the tank.  Well, there's
always next year!

At least we had the good luck that the transmission didn't break until we
reached camp, and that Susan Horne was there and able to haul Sanshra home for
us.  He is his old self already, showing no ill effects from the ride.  I would
like to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Roger, Susan and all of the people who
helped us over the weekend.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx