[RC] Shagya's & LD - Richard Sacks

Oh boy, go away for a weekend to a show down in Paso Robles and there is another firestorm on RideCamp. Like walking into a room where everyone is yelling about subjects they think they are all expert on but they're really not. Reminds me of a family Thanksgiving dinner discussion. I have to agree with Dennis. The comments made were condescending, not only to Shagya owners and breeders, but to LD riders.....again. I thought this LD discussion was dead but here it is again.

First of all there are two Shagya associations in the US, NASS and AVS. They both have programs for rewarding distance riding. Donna Coss was one of the founders of AVS and is one of the top breeders of Shagya's in the US. Her breeding program is right up there with Taylor Ranch (for those that don't know Taylor Ranch is the home of Aladdin and Strike, not every good Arabian is a Beleesemo or AM bred horse). They both have year end awards in their programs. Dona is attempting to get recognition for Shagya's in endurance. Unfortunately there are only at best 200-400 Shagya's in the US. It's hard to get them to do 50's when the majority them don't qualify because of age (like mine) or because the focus with Shagya's has been in jumping and dressage in the US.

In Europe it is a very different story. Shagya's compete effectively against PBA's (Pure Bred Arabs) and warmbloods in a variety of disciplines (eventing, jumping, dressage) and they win often! The entire Hanovarion and Trahkanner (sic) breeds are based on Shagya breeding. Shagya's are tested both in Eurpoe and the US on the same level (100 day testing) and often outscore traditonal breeds and win 100 day tests. In Europe Arabs are considered the diamonds of horse breeds but Shagya's are considered to be the brilliants. They are pricey but the top Arabian stubs (Janow , etc) consistenly use them in their breeding programs. They are Arabs but they also aren't. They are their own breed. The entire breed was derived from one horse (a 16 hand Syrian PBA stallion) over 250 years ago by cross breeding them back to Hugarian mares. Now every 4th generation is bred back to PBA's. You will find some great Arabian lines in their breeding that will make you drool if you are into Arabs (Pilot, Ofir, Witraz - all the great Polish lines that produce the CMK lines that most are familiar with here in the US). If you type SHAGYA into a Google search you will find results for both US Shagya organizations as well as the Balbona stud (primary Shagya stud) and the German stud that breed Shagya's from the Ibrahim line (Negatiw).

Come on folks, try to be more gracious. If I came to your house and you greeted me that way I don't know if I would I would stay. I know I would have to think twice about coming back! I don't think you quite get it that the way you respond to people on Ride Camp can turn new people off very quickly. This is one of the same issues that I raised in the LD discussion. If you have the "been there done that" attitude in you voice or posts the impression you give newcomers is not favorable. Again people are saying you can't be in the Endurance world if you don't do 50's but pooh poohing 25's. There is no logic in that approach. You can't expand your base without welcoming novice riders and there are going to be other breeds where they won't even consider 50's or 100's appropriate for there breed programs. JMHO.

If anyone is interested in Shagya's, contact me by private email. I know one breeder who had ten foals last year and another breed who has an 18 month old that is aruguablly the best stallion in this country today.