Re: [RC] Anemia - Lori Bertolucci

I do a Panacur Purge every spring on all my horses, then follow up with regular wormings there after. That being said, Gambler was in very poor health when I got him, so I may just need to repair, so to speak, the damage that was done prior to my getting him....

So now the question is, what is the best way to rebuild red blood cells?

Lori B.

Sherman <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just read recently that one of the common causes of anemia in horses was a heavy load of encysted small strongyles which  could be eliminated (at least for a while) with the Panacur or Safeguard purge.

Kathy

What are common causes of anemia (low red blood cell count,=
 around 25% hematocrit) in horses? What are the preferred=
 treatments for each cause? How does one differentiate between=
 the causes to know the proper treatment? At what point does=
 anemia preclude a horse from doing endurance? Is an anemic horse=
 more likely to crash than a non-anemic horse?

How much supplemental iron is too much? Lots of references to=
 iron toxicity, but nothing that gives a number.

Thanks,
Rachel