[RC] *Oman, Shagyas - endurance - Toni Jones

Regarding *Oman.

Yes, this was his registered name with NASS, the other US Shagya registry. He was imported in 1986 by Adele Furby and was later purchased by Carolyn Tucker who owned, trained and campaigned him in distance riding and dressage/3 day until his passing a few years back. He was a purebred bay Shagya stallion from Germany. He was out of Marzalla and by O'Bajar, both purebred Shagyas.

My horse, Amara's O'Biwon is a son of his and the horse that Heidi referred to "in Oregon". O'Biwon is no longer a breeding stallion, but has around 17 or so wonderful kids for their owners to enjoy and carry on the Shagya tradition.

I am not currently a member of ASAV or NASS. But thought I'd weigh in. I usually lurk, but found that both Angie and Heidi's posts were very complimentary towards the Shagya and their suggestions were RIGHT ON. Any horse can go 25 miles, but I would hate to see a National Champion title awarded to any horse of any breed based on such a distance. Only a couple of the ASAV people who are in charge are truly familiar with endurance as most on this list are... and it isn't Dennis or Donna. I think that it would be better to have the title go to the Shagya (that is nominated) that goes the most miles in a year (and it wouldn't be me). There are 2 Shagya owners out there doing a heck of a job in that vein right now... Stephani Fine with her Shagya stallion and Patty Betts with her Shagya mare, Ramona (an *Oman daughter) and her gelding Renn who she is campaigning this year.

To the person/people who have looked at the Shagya in the past and were turned off by snooty or holier than thou attitudes, or the price, I truly apologize. When I did have horses for sale I had fellow breeders bad mouth my horses to potential buyers instead of encouraging people to get the Shagya that was right for them, no matter who they got it from. Even as a Shagya owner I ran into that a lot. After 7 years of beating my head against the wall trying to promote my horse in particular and the breed in general it was hard financially to keep up and there was no help from the first breed organization. I think ASAV is on the right track and I wish them the best and hope they rethink the 25 mile National Championship idea if it is being presented the way it seems to be on ridecamp. The CTR idea was a much better one to my way of thinking.

The Shagya is a wonderful breed as a purebred and especially produces wonderful crossbreds as well. I hope this exchange does not turn off potential interest in the breed and I hope you all watch for them on the trail.

Happy Shagya owner of
purebred Shagya gelding Amara's O'Biwon
and crossbred Betwixt (friesian and shagya)

Toni Jones
Central Oregon