[RC] Tipping the Farrier - from a retired farrier - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

I worked full time as a farrier for 15 years and part time for another 5 or so.  I do only a few friends and my own, now.  When I was shoeing 800 horses a year, I do not remember ever being tipped in cash.  I had a zillion of cups of coffee, many dozens of homemade cookies (THAT explains alot, eh?) and many, many loyal, appreciative clients.  I NEVER expected a cash tip, nor would I have been comfortable with one- I charged what I thought was appropriate according to local market, the materials, the time involved and the effort expended.  I see it no different than my husband coming to your farm to vaccinate your horses - a professional job for a set amount of money.

That said, I am now a dog groomer (similair job without all the physical danger!) and most people do tip. Most people know that I own the business with my partner, and still, they throw an extra couple dollars at us when they pay.  I appreciate it as we have not raised prices since we started in 1999 - but I do make a habit of sayin g that I will make sure the bather (if I have one that day- they get $5 per dog) gets the tip.  I am still not comfortable with it, though I realize it is evidence that they like the job, which can be more variable than just a good shoe job - a little more artistic.  BTW, I make considerably less money for the time involved, grooming dogs than shoeing horses.

Just another point of view-

Laura Hayes
AERC# 2741